Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I Think I'm Extra Sensitive

I notice the little things and take it all in and keep it inside of me for a long time. When a child does something in the way of noticing that Brendon has diabetes and does something nice for him, I take notice. And my heart melts.

Last night at another of Brendon's games, I had him test his blood sugar. A team mate, was sitting beside him, watching from underneath his visor.

He didn't ask questions, and I saw him look away as though he were peaking at something he shouldn't, but couldn't help himself and went back to looking in his shy little way.

In the midst of testing, an unused lancet drop onto the dirt.

The boy saw it and instead of ignoring it, he quickly picked it up and handed it to me. He instinctively knew how important it was.

In his quiet, shy little way, he wanted to help his teammate who was nonchalantly...in a way, absent mindedly...checking his blood sugar. I smiled and thanked him for being so helpful.

To me, the smallest, tiniest gestures like that speak mountains. I've written about the small gestures other children have made toward Brendon, or the concern they've showed for him. They all hold a special place in my heart.

Maybe I'm so sensitive to those things because I know there are gestures out there that could instead be mean spirited and the concerns nonexistent.

5 Comments:

  • It is nice to witness those things. They seem so little but mean so much. Brendon has some cool friends.

    By Blogger George, at 7/16/2008 11:19 AM  

  • Being extra sensitive is a great thing because it allows us to notice all the little bits of wonderful that the rest of the world takes for granted.

    Who'd a thunk that you and I were sensitive flowers?
    k2

    By Blogger k2, at 7/16/2008 12:44 PM  

  • Completely know what you mean. I love those moments.

    By Blogger Carey, at 7/16/2008 1:30 PM  

  • I agree. It is the little things in life that mean the most. And, you're right about the fact that kids can be so mean. I'm glad to see that Brendon has some nice friends.

    By Blogger Jill, at 7/17/2008 4:32 PM  

  • Your Sensitive? I couldn't hold back the tears reading this post! LOL

    By Blogger Ronda, at 7/18/2008 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home