Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Cooking Is Fundamental. It Puts the 'Fun' In My 'Mental'

Everytime I think of the word fundamental, I think of this story:

I had an English Lit professor whose favorite word was fundamental. He'd use it wherever he could possibly insert it into his lectures and it drove me stock-raving mad.

I complained about it to my roommate and was puzzled by the look on her face after I told her that his favorite word was fundamental.

"What's wrong? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Because I can't believe he'd say that!!!! Like, so many times too!!!"

"I know, it drives me crazy."

"Does anyone say anything?"

"No, why would we?"

"I can't believe he says fucking mental all the time."

_________________________

Today I'm finishing off my awesome chicken soup that tastes soooo good and flavorful! The added rosemary made a big difference.

I'm making spaetzle the way my step-mother taught me to make it. It's a basic mixture of flour, salt, pepper, and egg with some water. Mix well. Make sure dough is loose, but firmer than pancake batter. Put a portion of it on a cutting board, take a very flat edged knife (butter knife is fine), cut a piece and push it off the board into a pot of boiling water. When the spaetzel floats to the top, it's done.

The spaetzel can be served as a side dish with some butter, or added to the soup. Carbs are about as much as it would be for normal pasta.

I'm also making panzanella salad with seasoned toasted chunks of Italian bread, and homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

We don't typically have dessert, but I feel like giving everyone a treat:

Brownies from a recipe off of the side of a baking cocoa container.

4 Comments:

  • dang shannon, who knew you were so domestic!

    martha stewart bows to you and your spaetzle!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/02/2008 11:14 AM  

  • Spaetzle! It just seems like such a pain in the ass to make... (she typed, even though just today she contemplated making home-made gluten-free pasta so that her son could have stuffed shells again..)

    By Blogger Naomi, at 3/02/2008 8:15 PM  

  • fundamental = fucking mental

    THAT was funny!

    Your dinner sounds yummy!

    By Blogger Life As I Know It, at 3/02/2008 9:19 PM  

  • Shannon-

    Mmmmm....I love spaetzle but have never actually made it. Do you have the specific measurements or is this one of those incredible family recipes that can only be done by eye? Either way, I'm inspired to add spaetzle to my list of food to try at home. Thanks!

    And thanks for finding me through Ruhlman. Your site is just great and inspirational and important and if there's anything I can do to help you with your pursuit of a cure, give me a call.

    I'll add you to my blogroll, too.

    Kim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/07/2008 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home