Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Monday, February 25, 2008

The Boys Of Summer

"I'm going to miss this tonight."

That is how Brendon expressed to me how much he liked baseball clinic. He didn't want the experience to end.

"Well, you'll be going again first thing tomorrow morning, so you won't have to wait too much longer", I said half helpfully and half tongue in cheek.

He is attending everyday while on Winter break this week.

He told me how they taught him a new way to hold the ball when he pitches.

They taught him to keep his foot forward and hold his head up when he's at bat.

He said he didn't know a single boy there, but he eventually made some friends.

A little bit of Summer to break up the heavy Winter.

Tomorrow we're getting a mix of sleet and snow to add to the mass of compacted, crispy snow we have on the ground already.

Dreaming of green grass, warm sun, and billows of dust coating faces of some who are bored and others who are earnestly waiting for the ball to come their way.

He loved every minute of baseball clinic despite the fact he found himself to be 45 and drank a juice at the end of the session today.

Tomorrow, I'll make adjustments to his basal to make sure he doesn't drop down so low. And I'll remind him to check himself sooner, maybe during snack.

The feel of bat in hand, practicing the proper swing is what calls out to him.

Throwing the ball as fast as he can while his fingers grip the white leather the way he was taught is what drives him.

He doesn't have to worry about anything other than being a boy of summer.

5 Comments:

  • What a great way to spend the winter break! I could almost hear the crack of the bat and see the smiles.
    Thanks for your thoughtful response about my dad. I appreciate it.

    By Blogger meanderings, at 2/25/2008 5:36 PM  

  • My son is a baseball fan too. He can't wait until April when he starts playing again.

    Just found you through Major Bedhead comments..

    By Blogger Life As I Know It, at 2/25/2008 8:41 PM  

  • This was a terrific post, Shannon!

    Made me long for opening day. :-)

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 2/25/2008 9:02 PM  

  • My son loved baseball, too. This brought back good memories of those days when he was a kid. Oh, I can't wait for spring!

    By Blogger Donna, at 2/25/2008 10:33 PM  

  • Spring? where? I don't believe it is ever coming back.

    how do you handle camp situations like that? Did someone stay with him during the camp?

    By Blogger Michelle, at 2/26/2008 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home