Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Monday, February 11, 2008

All Parents Should Be Bilingual...W-H-O-R-E Doesn't Cut It Anymore.

When I was a little girl, both of my parents worked, so my grandmother would watch me during the day.

My grandfather was a baker who worked the night shift and would hang out with us after he woke up in the afternoon.

My grandparents would kick into the Polish language whenever they had discussions they didn't want me to know about.

As hard as I concentrated on trying to decipher the foreign, complicated turnings of their tongues, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what they were saying.

Flash forward to tonight.

We're sitting down, eating dinner, and during conversation Jeff mentions that Amy Winehouse apparently won a lot of awards at the Grammies.

I said it's funny that her last name is Winehouse considering her reputation.

The ever knowledgable Jessica points out that Amy Winehouse is Jewish and she sings like a cheap whore.

Whoa-Whoa-WHOA!!!!!!

I couldn't have heard that last part correctly. After I asked her to repeat what she said, it turns out she said Amy Winehouse sings like a cheap girl.

OK, not much better, but better nonetheless.

So, I said to Jeff, "I thought Jessica said she sings like a cheap W-H-O-R-E."

Soon after, I hear Brendon ask, "Does that spell wore?"

ZOINKS!!!!!

It slipped my mind that he knows how to read and spell and do all sorts of things he couldn't do when he was aged newborn through 4 years old when spelling out words was the best I could do in lieu of speaking a foreign language.

Maybe I should try my hand at mental telepathy.

10 Comments:

  • Oh, I hated when this happened with my kids! But it does get interesting! LOL!

    By Blogger Donna, at 2/11/2008 8:38 PM  

  • HA HA HA HA! Yep we (Kristin and I) often find ourselves staring at each other...each one knowing and understanding the other equally wants to communicate, but we are stuck now that our kids can spell and read.

    Its also funny that Amy Winehouse won an award for a song about someone trying to send her to Rehab.

    My step dad's side of the family is Polish...now that explains everything. I've often wondered why you are so direct and not afraid to drop some F bombs. :)

    By Blogger Brett, at 2/11/2008 8:47 PM  

  • ALOL. It's amazing the things little kids know. You might just have to get some Rosetta Stone tapes though:)

    By Blogger Jillian, at 2/11/2008 8:54 PM  

  • Brett,
    My dad's side is Irish which is pretty fucking bad too. With all the F-bombs my dad dropped throughout my childhood, I grew up in a virtual Hiroshima and at times, Nagasaki.

    Donna,
    You don't have any advice?????

    Jillian,
    I think you're on to something the the Rosetta Stone tapes!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/11/2008 9:32 PM  

  • Man Polish AND Irish in your blood? It must be like 20% Vodka or something.

    By Blogger Brett, at 2/11/2008 9:40 PM  

  • You could maybe take up sign language? Or make up a sign language? You'll just look like you're randomly waving your hands, but you and Jeff will know it means "whore" or "asshole" or whatever. :)

    I read and could spell at a young age, and if I didn't know what a word meant, I would actually go check the dictionary, so my parents just whispered about stuff when I was out of the room. It's also possible that I was spaced out at the dinner table, daydreaming, so they might have talked about some things in front of me when I wasn't paying attention!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/11/2008 9:55 PM  

  • Hannah,

    Believe it or not, I was going to mention sign language, but everytime my mom comes to visit, she teaches them a bunch of it (she's learning so she can volunteer for some organization). So that idea is shot :(

    Brett,

    The other 80% is Jameson's whiskey.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/11/2008 10:09 PM  

  • LMAO! My wife and I try spelling the word using sign language but I swear, my wife "Who has worked with hearing impared kids" can never figure out what I am spelling! LOL

    By Blogger George, at 2/11/2008 10:20 PM  

  • Really not looking forward when our 4 year old starts learning to spell. She is already scary smart. Once she learns to spell, we are in serious trouble.

    By Blogger Chris, at 2/12/2008 8:44 AM  

  • Spencer Gifts is off limits when we go to the mall for the same reason. I can still remember hearing Noah's little voice drifting through the store as he read on a gag gift "bon...bonner...BONER PILLS...mom, what's boner pills??"

    By Blogger Lea, at 2/12/2008 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home