Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Saturday, December 15, 2007

My Asian Experience

About as close to Asia as I'll ever get is the Asian market in Manchester. I found it when I took a wrong turn one day. The place smells like a dirty pet store (because of the $1.99/lb. fish on ice), but it has some cool and cheap stuff in it. The most exotic thing I bought on that first, fateful day was brown rice that came out to be a gelatenous goo (but was good, nonetheless), and edamame.

This time, I spread my wings a bit more and bought the following:

I plan to stir fry some vegetables, and make peanut satay chicken to be served with these pancakes.

These tasty morsels will be steamed, and salted with some sea salt. The soy beans will be plucked from the pod with my teeth :D


I'll make some broth with this shaved fish to make dashi soup stock to which I'll add miso paste (not shown) to make miso soup.

And to the miso soup, I'll add some noodles.


Special guests get to use these chopsticks!


And finally, I bought some rice flour (I'm sure I'll find something to make with it) and Jasmine brown rice....Asian best!


There were all sorts of spices from Mexico that I had never heard of, and other assorted, exotic treats that I'll get to on my next round to the market.

Next stop: a European food store I discovered on my way home from the market.

8 Comments:

  • Edamame are my favorite treat. I keep them frozen and then microwave a bowl for about 3 minutes (the ice on them is enough to steam them in the micro), pour some salt on and enjoy!

    Yum!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/15/2007 3:37 PM  

  • Coneechiwa!

    By Blogger Chris, at 12/15/2007 3:44 PM  

  • Sara,
    That's exactly how I prepare them...and I'm currently snacking on them.

    Chris,
    Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 12/15/2007 4:06 PM  

  • Heh - we live off of rice flour over here ... and rice noodles.

    How did your meal turn out?

    By Blogger Jamie, at 12/15/2007 6:31 PM  

  • Mmm, edamame.

    Is that natto?

    Sounds like a good meal - how did it come out?

    You have to get some pocky next time you're there.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 12/16/2007 8:49 PM  

  • Jamie & Julia,

    Last night I made vegetable stir fry and the pancakes. 'Twas good, but of course the kids didn't eat the veggies since they don't like them all mixed in a jumble.

    We also had chicken minus the peanut sauce. The sauce tasted like salty peanut butter. Poor recipe from Tyler Florence.

    Julia- I'll have to check out pocky.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 12/17/2007 7:28 AM  

  • I totally love going to the Asian markets and finding cool treats. We are lucky to have lots and lots of them around us to choose from. They are also great for celiac shopping -- plenty of stuff made with rice flour.

    By Blogger Naomi, at 12/17/2007 12:26 PM  

  • hah--your Asian experience piqued my curiousity.

    I had edamame last night from the little night market stand near my apartment. it's so good and has these spices on them with a little kick--I just love plucking them out of the shells with my teeth.

    :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12/17/2007 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home