Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Monday, May 28, 2007

We Chose the Path.....

I'm sore and tired and just want to curl up in a fetal position and nap the day away. But I know if I do that my muscles will tighten up into tiny fists all over my body. So keep moving I must.

Yesterday I left you all with my unchosen choices for where to take a family hike.

The first choice gave us this warning on the website: "Keep close tabs on children, as unforeseen hazards may exist or develop suddenly on mountain trails."

Jeff wasn't too keen on that point, so we went with the other hiking site which not only seemed safer, but was closer too. It seemed a win-win situation.

Now, when choosing a place to hike and pictures are provided on the website, pay CLOSE attention to those pictures.

See below:


This is the photo from the website for the park where we chose to hike. See how rocky the trail is? That's the TAME part of the 1 mile trail that took us straight up a mountain. It's a challenge for adults....imagine what a challenge it is for adults with small children.

I have to say the the kids did miraculously well considering what Jeff and I subjected them to.

Jacob had about enough of climbing up rocks and scraping knees and twisting ankles, so Jeff and I traded off piggy back rides.

Jeff said, "Jesus Christ, this is dangerous!"

I said, "No shit."

We had chosen the 1.1 mile trail as opposed to the other 1.8 mile trail.

On the way down, we chose the 1.8 mile trail figuring it must cut across the mountain and must be safer.

Not so much.

It was a little less treacherous, but for crying out loud there were huge tangles of tree roots along the entire length.

Aside from a worry about Brendon's blood sugars where we neglected to bring more with us than one juice on the trail (we figured it was a clear one mile trail...no big whoop), the hike was actually enjoyable.

At the top of the mountain, we had a 360 degree view of hills and valleys.

We were in God's Country.

Considering we came out of that hike without injury, God must've surely been watching over us.

4 Comments:

  • I'm glad Brendon's blood sugars were ok!

    Otherwise it's kind of funny. You *think* you're picking the tamer trail. It does pay to look at those pics a bit closer LOL - I see in that one picture the guy on top is literally scaling those rocks. You don't notice that initially.

    Oh well - think of all the calories you burned!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 5/28/2007 12:24 PM  

  • Yikes

    Your description reminds me of the time we decided to hike Mount Monadnock (The most-hiked mountain in the US) many years ago with a church youth group.

    Maybe it was the trail we took. But about 5 hours after we started we were extremely happy to be back down at the base.

    At least you'll have a good story for the years to come.

    By Blogger Bernard, at 5/29/2007 10:11 AM  

  • Oh, I just love 360-degree views...some are worth the effort, though I know hiking with small kids is no easy thing to do.

    Glad you made it and enjoyed it so. :)

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 5/29/2007 10:35 PM  

  • Oh my! Certainly a day your children will never forget.
    Bring your hiking shoes when you come here...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/30/2007 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home