Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What Motivates You?

George's post about the PSA for diabetes management got me thinking, especially when he commented "Fear does not motivate me. We should make our own PSA on the D."

So I'm curious, what motivates you to manage your D...if not fear, then what? What would you, as a PWD, the person who knows better than a copywriter from a PR firm, say to the D public?

Really really think about why you pick up that lancet...collect blood on the strip...count carbs (or not)...dose yourself several times a day...day in and day out. What compells you to do it so often and not get influenced by the enticement of taking a break and skipping just one dose...or two...or three, or taking a day off from testing (people very close to me have done that you know)?

(Conversely and MORE importantly, if you don't test and dose and count carbs regularly, or as often as is suggested by the experts, what keeps you from doing it knowing that not doing so may make complications more likely?) I think it's probably more important to find out why people don't manage their diabetes diligently, if at all for some Type 2 diabetics. If we know why, then we could work on a way to overcome the obstacles (both mental and physical, and even financial) that prevent people from managing your diabetes more frequently.

If you could write a PSA, what would you say? Really take your time and think about it, then post a comment. It could be a sentence, or a whole dissertation...you can even say why you don't test as often too...it's a free for all. Most importantly, be open and honest...don't hold back.

I'll be on vacation starting on Friday and coming back March 6th. I can't wait to come back to read everyone's comments.

10 Comments:

  • Before I had the pump - I failed all the time even though I tried.With the pump I am able to reach resonably good results. Even though a lot of work is required. I am willing to put in this work because partial success is possible now. So some success leads to more success. Or cinversely,failure leads to more failure. Why bother trying if I am never going to come any where near success? I feel so much better with the pump. Success is tangible.

    By Blogger Chrissie in Belgium, at 2/21/2007 11:32 AM  

  • Have a great holiday!!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 2/21/2007 1:15 PM  

  • Such a loaded question/request.

    Definitely have to think about it...

    By Blogger If not a mother..., at 2/21/2007 1:43 PM  

  • Yes - that is a very deep question. And I don't have a good reason right off the top of my head.

    The first thing I thought about was "well, I am supposed to take good care of myself. Or at least try". But why? I'm not sure...

    Could it be some built in knowledge that my body wants to be healthy? Some intuitive demand that my body has that drives the desire to "be good"?

    That question is really harder than one might think at first glance.

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 2/21/2007 5:32 PM  

  • I am going to pass this on to my Brother.
    Why not stay on top of it?
    Do you think it is like most things we take for granted- ignoring the problem, hoping it will just go away?
    Sad fact but I think it is somewhat true?!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/22/2007 8:57 AM  

  • Hope you have a great trip, Shannon. (I'm sure you'll have some stories for us when you get back - hopefully none of the gastrointestinal kind either ...)

    I can't answer your question but I am interested in reading what everyone has to say!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 2/22/2007 2:58 PM  

  • Hi Shannon....It is respect for my Body/Mind that I maintain good health and as good as possible Diabetes Management.
    I am pragmatic and realistic regarding Diabetes. I do not feel that by maintaining good control where blood sugars are tested, where carbs are counted, where insulin is adjusted, where exercise is performed, where nutritious food is eaten......I do not feel that any of this will prevent "Complications" related to Diabetes nor will it prevent Hypoglycemia from occurring. T1DM in my opinion, is a multi-factor Disease rather than a single entity. BTW, even if I did not have T1DM, I would maintain a Healthy Lifestyle.

    By Blogger BetterCell, at 2/22/2007 7:52 PM  

  • Shannon, I had over 25 years of not taking care of myself. And most of it was me seeing all of the cousins in my extended family unraveling slowly, a thread at a time, from various complications. It's one thing to read about it but quite another to have it happen to people you know. I figured that if this was also gonna happen to me, I was certainly going to enjoy the ride beforehand. I also had very low self-esteem, never got along with the shaming doctors and was (and still am) hung up on food. I felt that I was "less-than" other people who had good health and that diabetes was a major defect.

    I think it mostly changed when I was hospitalized for what they thought was heart failure. It took 8 days before they figures that the 40 pounds of edema I'd gained in one month was an adverse reaction to Lantus, which I had just started. Laying in the cardiag unit with befuddled doctors hovering over me gave me a lot of time to think. After that, I started slowly to take care of myself - like I had a new beginning. And, I was curious as to whether or not I could do it, and how I would feel with good control.
    A few months later I was rewarded with a pronounced improvement in the amount of protein I was spilling. (My kidney function now is considered normal.) I still have the lab report, on which the dr wrote, "it's never too late for good control".

    A couple of year later I had treatment for serious retinopathy. Once again, I emerged in pretty good shape. I think I feel like the body is still trying to swing into balance and needs proper behavior and choices on my part to do so.

    I have become more honest, more responsible, and more emotionally intimate with my friends.

    And, some times I feel downright smug that I can deal with this, 24/7 and still kicking.

    By Blogger Minnesota Nice, at 2/28/2007 7:04 PM  

  • PS to be truthful, I also am extremely thankful for all of the $ my insurance co has had to shell out for my care. I feel I owe them back with some good control.

    By Blogger Minnesota Nice, at 2/28/2007 7:35 PM  

  • Hi, just to let you know, I have a friend here, in Brazil, that its a professional Triathlete and also have Diabets. Was a problem for him, but, isnt more. He does a lot of Ironman TRiathlon races and take good places. The tip, you never should stop ;)
    Regards,
    Thiago
    Triathlon Training Log for Running, Swimming and Cycling

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/08/2008 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home