Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Thursday, February 08, 2007

2+2=LOW

Brendon came home from school today, ate a snack as usual, and then told me he had to write his name 25 times. Now, back in the day that meant punishment, so I asked why he had to write his name 25 times.

He said it was because he forgot to write his name on a worksheet he handed in to the teacher. I explained to him that he probably had to write his name so that he didn't forget to write it next time. He seemed pretty upset and he told me it was a punishment. I insisted it wasn't, but he was upset anyway.

I then started to look over the work he brought home from school and noticed he had gotten 6 wrong answers on a math worksheet he did. That is completely unlike the work he usually does. He never gets wrong answers....in math. I noticed that he subtracted instead of added (if it were subtraction work, he would've gotten them right). A few of his other papers had some wrong answers as well. Typically, one or two papers per week have one or two wrong answers. Today was much more than usual.

I may suck at math, but I know that if you put 2 & 2 together it = Low.

I looked at his log sheet the nurse sends home and asked when he forgot to write his name and when he did the math worksheet. He said after lunch. I noticed that he was low after lunch.

He said he was out of control when he forgot to write his name. I asked what he meant and if he was misbehaving. He said no, he just felt out of control.

He must not have been able to concentrate therefore he made the mistakes as a result. I asked if he felt low, he said no, and later said yes. Getting info from this kid is like pulling teeth by the way, LOL.

So tonight, I will write his teacher a note telling her that if she sees him making more mistakes than usual, then to make sure he is tested in the classroom to see if a low is at work (and then to of course alert the nurse). Plus, I plan to write a note for Brendon to tape to his desk to remind himself that if he feels out of control, then to ask to be tested.

This is the first incident that I've picked up on since school started where diabetes had a significant impact on his school work.

Live and learn.

5 Comments:

  • Shannon-

    I found myself getting upset as I read this post-- mainly because I have seen the impact a low can have on Joseph's work at school-- and it's not pretty.

    Good communication with the teacher is key-- as you clearly know, judging by your excellent response to this.

    Quick question-- do you have any accomodations in Brendon's 504 that address high/low bgs adversely affecting his academic performance?

    (This is something I'm working on getting in a 504 for Joseph for next year-- though, I've encountered some resistence to it from folks at his school... )

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 2/08/2007 5:49 PM  

  • Sandra, we have it stated in his 504 plan about how highs or lows can affect performance and behavior. I think because problems are few and far between with Brendon (thankfully), the teacher isn't on top of things the way she would be if she had to deal with problems all the time. That's just a guess on my part.

    I haven't gotten resistance from anyone at school. They're so good about dealing with Brendon's diabetes....they just have to be reminded about his lows affecting his performance in this instance.

    I can't believe you're getting resistance from Joseph's school. What have they been saying? You can email me if you'd like since this could get lengthy :) sjbjlewis@comcast.net

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/08/2007 7:00 PM  

  • I will be remembering this post for a very long time. Thanks Shannon. This entire OC thing is an incredible resource. This is real. And we are all helping each other...i love it...i need it.
    Thanks Shannon/everybody.
    I felt sad reading this for Emma,Brendon etc. as well as relived that you found an answer and more clues for the future.
    It must be nice as well as saddening to be at the point where your child can tell you about thier high and low feelings.

    By Blogger Chris, at 2/08/2007 11:48 PM  

  • Shannon-

    While no one has an issue with lows, some have expressed the opinion that highs don't really impact academic performance.

    Soooo, I've gotten a letter from Joseph's endo stating among other things that:

    "Recent research has underscored the significant effects of both low and high blood glucoses on learning retention, mood, and academic performance."

    Needless to say, this letter will be a part of our next 504 meeting...

    I'll keep you posted.

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 2/09/2007 10:19 AM  

  • Who feels high when they are low? When we feel low nothing goes well. At least you two are aware of his needs. That is good parenting, and it is what will guide him.
    I wish Brendon didn't have to have lows and be tested. Poor little man!
    He is a trooper!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/11/2007 2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home