Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ear of Corn, Big Ass Earphones, & A Little Trip

Jacob has got to be my most challenging child. Nary a day goes by when he isn't getting into some kind of trouble. Yesterday afternoon Jessica and Jacob were eating popcorn. I was upstairs when Jake came upstairs screaming his head off. Jessica explained that he got a piece of popcorn stuck in his ear. Just what I need. I looked inside and there was an entire kernel jammed in there right at the edge of the canal. I took a paperclip and tried to GENTLY pry it out, but it was tickling him too much, so I had to resort to taking him to the pediatrician which I volunteered Jeff to do as I had to finish getting ready to take Brendon to an ice cream social/parent-teacher night. The doctor wound up removing it using teeny tiny forceps. Looking forward to the next time Jake pulls the same stunt.

When I'm at the gym doing cardio, there isn't much to keep my mind occupied other than people watching. I study them, watch their routine, watch them interact with other people, etc. Well, last week, I had an eyefull of an old lady. She could've been 50 or she could've been 75. She had one of those faces that said "I've lived a rough life", so who knows. But all I have to say is, the woman didn't give a shit what she looked like. In a way I admire that quality about a person where they dress however they want without worrying about what people would think. But, she was so far out there, I just thought "doesn't this woman have pride?" She had short curly homepermed hair with thick Coke bottle glasses which magnified her eyes beyond human capacity. Aside from the white knee high socks, tight short shorts, a tucked in t-shirt and possibly Easy Spirit sneakers, she had on the biggest earphones I'd ever seen. They were in serious competition with her eyes. I was mesmerized. Watching her and studying her took up a good part of my cardio. Her head kept clunking on the machines. Oh what a sight to behold.

Lastly, Jeff and I are going to Martha's Vineyard tomorrow for the weekend. We're celebrating our 11th anniversary. I just want to sleep-in without any interruption. That is the only luxury I ask for. Otherwise, the day is free to do whatever..... We're staying at a B&B in Oaks Bluff. I read an online review by a guy who stayed at the place and here is what he had to say:

We first stayed at the Mansion House in Vineyard Haven for two nights, then moved over to this Inn.

It depends on what you are looking for, but I do not recommend this for the older crowd. We are in our 50's and we were by far the oldest of a pretty full house. Not that this was a bad thing but be prepared.

The house is older, but all of the Vineyard is. The rooms were clean, and we had # 9, which is a nice large room. Beware the shower door must be kept closed or the smoke detector will go off on you!

The Inn itself is nice, breakfast what you would expect, cookies, and a refrigerator for your wine. Lots of books, room to sit, and a porch overlooking Circuit Avenue.

This is where I have a few things to note. First of all, the speakers on the porch are hooked up for your ipod , so you find yourself listening to everyones favorite tunes, fairly loud. Not necessarily relaxing, and the one guy loved Cosby Stills, and it got pretty boring and anoying. My advise to Eric the inn keeper, kill that... It is not for the relaxing people. Yes, it is great for a party house, but that is not what an Inn in the Vineyard should be really.

Also the porch is full of everyone drinking, and Eric had champagne out for some guests, and not others. Again, kinda rude I thought. Some people were back for their fifth visit, and it was like Eric had company and we were intruding. This happened every night. Kinda strange I thought.

We did like the location very much, easy walk or cab ride. The maids did not clean room well, but that was okay.

You will see in some posts Eric thinks he is a cool dude. The fact is he is pretty nice but sorta like being in his house and he is a bit a of a hippy dippy. That again is fine, if you are 20=35, but beyond that, you may want to go somewhere else.

I want this review to be fair, and not to hurt his business, because he was very nice, and runs a nice business. But you sit on the porch while he parties both nites, he has his kids out there on the porch, the ipod is booming, and you expect the college kids to come storming in.

Sooo if you want a vacation that is for the cool,,,hip,,,,crowd, do this INN. You will really love it.

WE did have a good time, but I would go where we fit in better next time, and pay more.

Hard to explain,,,but if you go,,, you will see. It is kinda like being at woodstock


Umm, note to the guy who wrote this review: if you are in your 50's, isn't Woodstock your scene. It certainly isn't ours considering I'm in the 20-35 age bracket. And it's kinda hard to picture a bunch of college kids crashing the place in order to party when Crosby, Stills, & Nash is rocking the house.

On Monday, tune in to pictures and stories about our weekend!

3 Comments:

  • Have fun, Shannon.

    What an...interesting review. :D So full of backhanded compliments! I wonder if the owner has read it.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 9/28/2006 2:26 PM  

  • Sounds like you're in for an interesting weekend... with perhaps some more good people-watching opportunities.

    Have fun!

    p.s. Reading your description, I could really see that woman from the gym. Very scary...

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 9/28/2006 3:05 PM  

  • Have fun, sleep and stay in bed all day! Enjoy yourself, be yourself!! I cannot wait to hear all about it, take photos too!!
    Happy love feast!

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 9/28/2006 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home