Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Friday, April 21, 2006

Kryptonite

This morning, when he came to my room to wake me for breakfast, Brendon crawled under the covers with me and told me he was shaking because he was so nervous about the surgery he's having on Monday (he's getting his tonsils and adenoids taken out).

Nothing typically phases this kid. But the surgery does.

I usually find comfort in him because he's so sure of everything, and confident, and lets things roll off his back. Nothing gets him down. He's my little Superman. (who's the parent and who's the child, here).

But when he told me he was nervous, my heart just completely melted. I'm not used to him being nervous about anything.

After breakfast, he told me his stomach hurt. "Maybe it's just that I'm nervous about my operation."

I hugged him and sat him on my lap and used a bit of humor to diffuse his apprehension. Afterall, laughter is the best medicine, right?

"OK, here's what's going to happen: You're going to wear a hospital gown with your butt sticking out the back (that one gets a giggle). Then you'll lay down on a bed with wheels on it. The nurses, and daddy, and I will walk with you to the operating room. Daddy will go in with you until you fall asleep.

You'll be sleeping while they're operating and you won't feel a thing. Then you'll wake up after they're done, and you'll look around saying 'Huh? where am I? wha' happened?' (that gets another giggle).

Then daddy and I will stay with you all day long, and daddy will sleep with you. Mommy will come the next day and drive you and daddy home. And that's it!"

I could immediately feel the tension melt away...he had a smile on his face...and the Kryptonite dissolved away. For now.

UPDATE: The poor guy is so wracked with nervousness. He keeps asking me for 1 minute hugs...he's complaining of headaches (his numbers are excellent though)...he's been hiding under the covers on the couch...he even tried bowing out of school, but I told him being busy will help keep his mind off the surgery. I hope he makes it through the weekend without having a nervous breakdown. I think I'll have to plan something special for him to keep his mind off of things.

7 Comments:

  • Shannon-

    Give him a giant hug for me please and tell him I'm letting him use all of my superpowers for the whole day on Monday. Of course, I don't think there are many superpowers he doesn't already have -- but I'm making the offer.

    N

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 4/21/2006 9:18 AM  

  • What a beautiful Mom you are! Hugs and prayers I send... until he is home in your arms asking youwhen he can go outside and play!

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 4/21/2006 9:39 AM  

  • Superman can conquer anything. That's why he gets to wear blue tights and still be cool.

    Does he get to eat ice cream once the surgery is over? That would soothe my nerves even now, as a psuedo-adult.

    By Blogger Kerri., at 4/21/2006 1:30 PM  

  • Maybe you can make plans to do something after the surgery, too, to give him something to look forward to.

    Another hug from me, too.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 4/21/2006 1:42 PM  

  • aww poor guy!!

    Maybe also you could rent a favorite movie or two for Sunday night in case he has a lot of trouble sleeping...

    By Blogger Erica, at 4/21/2006 2:17 PM  

  • Awww - you're a great Mom Shannon. Poor guy - it IS nerve racking waiting for surgery - and in my mind, it's the worst part of the whole procedure ... the days leading up until it happens.

    Give him a big hug from me too.

    Keep him busy, and before you all know it - Monday will be over with and he'll be on the road to recovery.

    I ditto Kerri ... ice cream heals all LOL (especially after a tonsillectomy!)

    By Blogger Jamie, at 4/21/2006 2:49 PM  

  • Thanks for everyone's support!!!

    He's feeling much better today.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 4/22/2006 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home