Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Cleaning House


How do you overcome the complete drudgery of cleaning house? I don't just mean dusting and vacuuming...it's the clutter.

When Jeff and I were married, our first place together was a 1 bedroom condo which was about 750 sq. ft. We had EXACTLY what we needed and nothing more. We had extras like plants, wall hangings and a few candles and knick knacks to pretty-up the place. But everything had a place. If there was no place to put something, out it went.

Then came our first house in New York which contained everything from our first condo, because, well, we needed that stuff.

But then something happened.

Jeff discovered the holy man-church named Home Depot. This is where men go to worship the Construction God. They bring home idols: hammers, screwdrivers, buzz saws, jig saws, miter saws, spackel, drywall tape, sandpaper, nails, screws (deck screws, drywall screws, screw it all!!!). Jeff created shrines of these idols on shelving bought at, you guessed it...Home Depot where they remain and have never been touched.

Then we inherited furniture from people who were buying new for their own home, or were simply purging because THEY had too much stuff in their homes. We received couches, tables, beds, dressers, kitchen sets, an entire dining room set including glassware, plates, serving pieces, etc. I took it all because we had the room.

Then we had kids. And in came so much crap, for one, tiny 21" 6 lb. person. Diapers, wipes, bottles, nipples, receiving blankets, nail clippers, nose bulbs (gag), shampoos, soaps, lotions, carriers, strollers, monitors, breastpumps, supplies for the breast pumps. We had two more kids and even more crap came pouring in. Let's not leave out games, toys with a million parts per, school papers that I feel too guilty throwing out, crayons, scissors, glue, books, and on and on and on.

*Note: I haven't even skimmed the surface of all the crap we have.

My problem is that I get rid of stuff, but then I buy "organization" products to help contain the stuff I kept. Now I'm cluttered with so many organization products that I've made it even more difficult for myself to put things away, because there are now so many different places to store things.

It's time for Spring Cleaning. My goal is to decrease our crap and only keep what we need and keep ONE of each thing. Good luck to me.

8 Comments:

  • This is why I actually love cleaning the bathroom. Everything that should be in there has a place. Progress can be made. Results can be enjoyed.

    The rest of the house, I'm lost.

    By Blogger Kassie, at 3/18/2006 1:26 PM  

  • Isn't it incredible how much stuff one can accumulate! I have a rule, though nobody in my family does it except me...if I buy something or recieve something i give something away. It has been a rule that has help me not to buy so much...what will I give away haunts me into putting things down and walking away.

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 3/18/2006 4:34 PM  

  • Best of luck to you. I'm in the midst of my spring cleaning right now and just cannot imagine where we acquired so much junk.

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 3/18/2006 8:55 PM  

  • Oh man, you've struck a chord with me here. The very reason that I'm reading this right now is because I'm online procrastinating about getting started on a de-clutter and spring clean, that I promised myself would start today after a couple of days of enjoyment and relaxation.

    I have a hundred and one reasons for not getting down to it properly: I'm waiting for new drawers for my bedroom, so I can't get started on sorting out my clothes until I have them; I can't clean the bathroom today until I've washed the sheets I took off the bed and put on the floor there, which I can't do until the load currently in the machine is done; I can't sort out my kitchen and glassware cupboards because some stuff is in the dishwasher... I could go on.

    My biggest problem is that I moved away from this place for a little over a year. I was limited in what I could take, but unfortunately then acquired doubles of some stuff, especially kitchen junk. Lots of it is now in a big pile in the hallway, with no place to put it. I'd so love a house with an attic or loft!

    There used to be a thing, back in my Grandma's time, that women had a 'bottom drawer' where they kept things for when they were married. I don't even have a partner, let alone kids, and I already have enough stuff to (over)fill a two bed apartment!

    I guess I better get started now...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/19/2006 7:39 AM  

  • Oh man, I could have written this post too - and the picture?? That's the constant state of my rec room - every day the kids trash it, I could just cry. I would LOVE to go one day with a neat and tidy house ... I don't know what that feels like anymore:(

    We are holding a yard sale this spring to raise money for our JDRF team for the walk - and I plan on purging big time - also, whatever doesn't sell - will be going to the CDA (they pick up stuff like that) - so either way, it'll all be going towards Diabetes research.

    I look forward to less junk - although it seems that no matter how hard I try - there's always something that needs to be de-cluttered :( The story of my life!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 3/19/2006 3:37 PM  

  • Welcome to my world. I just packed up a house full of stuff and even though I threw a lot of crap away, I'm still unpacking things and saying "Why the HELL did I keep this shit?" and then throwing it in the trash.

    My mother, I swear, could become a dumpster diver. She keeps calling me and saying "I found thus and so in the trash you had me take to the dump from the old house. Are you sure you don't want it? Well, maybe I'll keep it." I'm probably going to get struck dead for saying this, but all I can think is: "Fantastic. So I can throw it away AGAIN after you die. Perfect."

    I'm going to hell.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 3/20/2006 8:18 PM  

  • If you're going to hell, then you'll have plenty of company because I'm sure every one of us would think the same thing about our own mothers, LOL.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 3/20/2006 11:16 PM  

  • Everyone, let's start a new OC for those that lack the OCD clean gene.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 3/20/2006 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home