Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Thursday, April 17, 2008

I Couldn't Do This Alone

I don't think I could've gotten through a lot of this diabetes stuff for the past five years if it weren't for Brendon and Jeff. I mean, I'd do it. I'd have no choice and my motivation is to see my son be vibrant and happy, but I think I'd be more of a nervous wreck if it weren't for those two.

When I spoke to Brendon's school nurse on the phone the other night after calling her at home, she said she was so nervous, but didn't want to show Brendon because she didn't want to scare him. I told her we also try to keep our emotions in check in front of him because we don't want to scare him either.

She said, "You did so good!"

If I had seen Brendon in bad shape, or emotional from being so high, it would've been hard for me to get a grip if I could've gotten one at all. Seeing him play cards with her when I walked into her office, and then him relaxing back while I changed the tubing, and then watching him walk out of the office as he said to me "Thanks mom, I'll see you when I get home" with a big grin afterwards really helped me to not fall into a million useless pieces.

Jeff helps me to keep my cool as well. If I can't figure out a problem, or for instance I'm unsure of how much to correct Brendon at night, I know Jeff will come up with an answer that will allow me to relax and be rest assured that whatever we did won't have a disasterous effect.

He picks up where I left off...he starts what I can finish. I never feel burned out because of that. I feel frustrated at times because diabetes management sucks balls in general, but I never feel like I can't make it through the day...thanks to Jeff.

If we don't see eye to eye in what to do with any kind of diabetes management situation, I don't have to worry about him not respecting my point of view. And I totally respect his. We either come up with a compromise, or we try one idea first and if that doesn't work we try the other's idea. If THAT idea doesn't work, we bang our heads together and try to knock loose another idea.

We make a good team, Jeff and I.

I'm lucky that they are who they are. And I give thanks every day for the luck I have.

6 Comments:

  • great post. Your team sounds top-notch, and Brendon is a gem.

    By Blogger Adam Greene, at 4/18/2008 10:32 AM  

  • Aww. Thanks Adam :D

    By Blogger Shannon, at 4/18/2008 10:56 AM  

  • I think that too often Diabetes care falls to the mother, it did in our house. I've rarely seen a father in the waiting room at my endo's office either. I'm glad you've got such a great team to get you through.

    By Blogger Jillian, at 4/18/2008 12:03 PM  

  • "diabetes management sucks balls in general" HA! That's the statement of the day!!!

    You are blessed to have Jeff as I am to have Michael. I do most of the D stuff but he's always there to help. (And, don't tell anyone, but he does ALL of the middle of the night tests . Hee hee. Sucker.) Of course, I have to wake him up to do the test. Then, he yells the number to me and I make a decision about what to do, if anything. But, I don't actually have to get out of the bed.

    Michael has only missed one of Riley's appointments and it's because the doctor changed it at the last minute and Michael couldn't get off of work.

    It's nice to have someone there to bounce ideas off of if nothing else.

    Yay for Jeff!! (And to Brendon for putting up with this stupid disease without complaining.)

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 4/18/2008 2:19 PM  

  • You are so lucky to have such great support. Some of us don't have it so easy. I'm so glad that you all work so well together.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 4/21/2008 9:40 PM  

  • Three cheers for family and support!

    NO cheers for ball sucking diabetes!

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 4/29/2008 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home