Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Things That Make You Hmmm

Here's the situation:

Last night at dinner (around 5 pm) Brendon was a 176. Jeff dosed him for the meal.

After dinner (around 6:30) Brendon took a shower and before doing so, disconnected his pump.

Long after Brendon was in bed (around 10 pm), I checked Brendon as usual and he came in at a 163.

Jeff went up to bed around 10:30, and soon after, came back down to tell me that Brendon's pump was still on the bathroom counter. He hadn't hooked himself back up (as an aside....of course we should've double checked that he did, but we neglected to do so).

So for 3 1/2 hours, he had no basal insulin at all. About 2.5-3 hours after being bolused for dinner, Novolog is gone from the body. Yet during the time when there was absolutely no insulin in his body, his number hadn't gone up until 10:40 when Jeff hooked him back up and checked him again. At that point he was a 193.

I was supposed to check him a third time when I went to bed, but I fell asleep on the couch and hadn't done so.

Around 6:30 in the morning, Brendon woke me and said he felt low. He was a 41.

He goes through periods (or cycles) where we need to cut back his insulin dramatically even if he hasn't been active or stressed.

After reading about Dr. Faustman's work and the subsequent research done by other scientists that have confirmed her findings, I believe that Brendon's body has produced beta cells and that they are secreting insulin.....as minute an amount as that may be. They may not be secreting enough to keep up with the amount of glucose they have to cover, but it was enough to keep him relatively steady for a very short period of time.

Call me crazy, but this is what I believe is happening now. I really hope that the work Dr. Faustman has done to cure mice will work on humans.

3 Comments:

  • Shannon - I don't think you're crazy at all. When I was first diagnosed - and for five or ten years after that - I would have plummets that we just couldn't control. Obviously, because I was on multiple shots, there was no "backing off" insulin, so I'd start into these dives and after hours of juice, mono-gel, etc. I might get up to 150 - at a creeping, crawling pace... And hours later, I'd be apt to plummet again. During all this time - I was never giving more than five or six units of long acting insulin and never more than a unit of short acting at a time. My mother suggested to the doctor that maybe my body was producing insulin - even all those years after diagnosis... He snorted at her... She brought me to a new doc.

    Our bodies are strange - and sometimes wonderous things. So - no, I don't thin you're crazy at all...

    F**cko, by the way, is a term brought to the world by my boyfriend, Bob - who made my juice go up my nose the first time he said it. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/13/2006 12:09 PM  

  • I also believe Charlie is emitting some insulin. Some times there's no other explanation. Dr. Faustman's work is exciting. Latest stem cell story also very exciting. 6-year-old with horrible illness called Batten disease was injected with stem cells a month ago. Seizures he suffered daily have stopped. He's also talking for the first time in two years. It's still early, but wow! Here's a link to story.

    http://www.physorg.com/news85116317.html

    By Blogger Carey, at 12/13/2006 4:08 PM  

  • Shannon, you know wo much and shreit in a way that is understandable and useful.

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 12/16/2006 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home