Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Before He Sleeps

Last night at midnight, I checked Brendon and cursed the dark when I saw 38. I HATE seeing a low when he's sleeping. Rousing him from a deep sleep so that he can eat a cheese sandwich and slurp down a juice is a royal pain in the ass.

"Brendon...drink the juice", I say as I press the straw to his lips.

"C'mon, Bren. Drink the juice. You're low. You have to drink the juice."

Snarl, growl, swat me away with his little bear paw.

"Bren, eat the sandwich. SIGH.... C'mon. Take bigger bites. (Why do you have to take such tiny bites?, asked under my breath)."

Plus, I feel terrible that he can't sleep soundly and uninterrupted. There will be plenty of sleepless, interrupted nights when he's living on his own to deal with the nighttime lows alone....and when he has kids of his own (I don't think I've had a night of uninterrupted sleep in over 8 years!).

Tonight, before he sleeps, I need to treat a falling blood sugar. If I can get it now and keep it from falling, I'll be a happy camper when I check him tonight. I hope I can keep it from continuing this crazy nosedive he's currently experiencing.

At dinner time, around 6 o'clock, he was a 58 with .8 units on board. I gave him a juice box and let him eat dinner (an additional 24 carbs) without first dosing him as we usually do. I figured by the time he was finished eating, the carb load would hit him and he'd be OK enough to dose.

Whoops! About an hour later, I forgot to dose him. Checking again, his BS is at 96. Hmm. He'll probably rise even more, but I wanted to wait a bit longer.

He complained he was hungry and ate a few crackers. And then, not long after, I saw him sneaking more:

"How many crackers do you have there?"

"One, two, three, four.... I have six."

"Well, if you're going to sneak food, at least keep track of the carbs!"

I forget to check him to see where his number is. I expect it to be in the 200's when I finally remember again.

A little while ago, he was in the 70's.

"Did you dose yourself for the crackers?"

"No."

PLEASE don't let this be a sign of what late tonight has in store for me.

8 Comments:

  • Hey girl, I'm right there with you - 49 after dinner, gluc-ed up and then gave him snack and forgot to bolus for snack and when I did check he was only 70.

    It's the weather. it has to be the weather.

    I've got him turned down on his pump hoping to keep him a bit higher tonight to give his little liver a chance to recoup.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 6/03/2008 8:49 PM  

  • Shannon - Sorry Brendon is having these lows. When I was a kid, my BG was always lower in the summer. It was crazy. I hope the BGs settle down soon. Hang in there!

    By Blogger Donna, at 6/03/2008 8:58 PM  

  • Shannon, you make all of my parenting challenges look miniscule as compared to what you deal with, daily. I continue to be awed that you take such good care of your son, and remain a sane person. Brendon is a lucky guy!

    By Blogger meanderings, at 6/03/2008 8:58 PM  

  • wow- Thanks for painting that picture of middle of the night checks for people like me who know very little about diabetes and what you need to do to manage it.
    Hoping tonight is a good one for you and Brendan.

    By Blogger Life As I Know It, at 6/03/2008 9:43 PM  

  • Rough night. I've had many of those all on my own, I'm glad you're there for him. I hope you can get the numbers to settle down for the sake of you both.
    I can't help but ask...Brendon doesn't wake up when he's low?

    By Blogger Jillian, at 6/03/2008 9:51 PM  

  • Major suckage. Growing boys and all that stuff eh?

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 6/03/2008 10:13 PM  

  • Bleeeeeeeeech.

    I'll send you a virtual shot or twelve of espresso in the morning. Sounds like a long night.


    I hope you were wrong and that he's fine during the night....

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 6/04/2008 12:07 AM  

  • There must be something in the air .... on Monday my kid was bottoming out on my left, right and centre - and I hadn't done anything differently - neither had she.

    Is there a full moon? Planets not properly aligned? Change in atomspheric pressure? ARGH!?!?!?!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 6/04/2008 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home