Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Rat

If only I could get the Mafia to put out a hit on diabetes....that would be one way to cure Brendon. But, dammit, that wouldn't be possible.

The Mafia doesn't like Rats, so it wouldn't have been a problem to get them to whack The D if it were possible to do so.

Aside from causing highs, lows, complications, and general havoc on the body and mind, The D is also a Rat.

Jessica came to our room early this morning...I repeat, EARLY...saying someone ate her candy stash leftover from a birthday party Brendon and she went to on Saturday (Brendon had already eaten his own stash after he came home from the party). Brendon accompanied her to our room to keep tabs on what she was telling us so that he could counter the claims.

I told her I didn't know who ate it, hoping she would drop the subject and go away so that I could continue sleeping. But, immediately, I thought of Brendon because he wakes up the earliest, and was awake before Jessica this morning (and it couldn't be Jacob because he was sleeply soundly next to me).

I wanted first to see if she was mistaken. Maybe she didn't look where it was last left.

"How do you know someone ate your candy? Is it on the desk?"

"I found the wrappers, Mom. Brendon ate my candy."

"I did not", said Brendon quietly through clenched teeth.

Ah, so no spring cleaning was done.

I knew I could pinch Brendon by relying on my informant. Plus, I wanted him to realize that The D will give him a hard time getting away with anything, so lying is pretty much futile.

I took 'em down to the precinct (The Kitchen).

First I smelled Brendon's breath, and was able to remain standing.

"What did you smell?", asked Brendon.

"Why would you ask me that if you didn't eat her candy?"

He clenched his teeth trying to preserve his composure.

I set up my TGTK Lie Detector (a.k.a The Glucose Test Kit) and began the test.

"Brendon, you're a 377. You ate her candy didn't you."

"No, I didn't eat her candy."

"You're never this high in the morning."

Brendon wouldn't budge, but I could plainly see his agita. Some paisan The D turned out to be. They're partners for life and The D has no problem whatsoever throwing Brendon under the bus. As much as The D was helping me out here, I was pretty disgusted with how disloyal The D was, myself.

My partner took over and sat Brendon down at the table. The overhead light shown brightly over Brendon's head. My partner had an idea:

"Brendon, if you ate Jessica's candy, I thought you would've at least dosed yourself for it."

"I did! I did! I dosed myself for 10 carbs!"

My partner looked at me and smiled. I put my hand over my mouth to prevent myself from busting out laughing. We had him.

"So you DID eat the candy", I said.

Brendon closed his eyes, and leaned his head back against the chair in realized defeat.

This story was reported exactly how the situation occured. No names were changed to protect the innocent.

15 Comments:

  • Aw. Awesome telling of the story--I like the moblike overtones, but it still made me sad because even to this day, 19 years after my intial diagnosis, I still feel shame anytime I eat anything sweet. Anything. I do it, but want to hide it, even though I know logically that I can have it.

    I hate how we use words like "test" and "exam" and all the rest because any time I indulge a little, I feel like a failure.

    I almost want to be mad at Jessica for ratting out her brother, but I know that siblings have a hard time when their bro/sis is a diabetic. And Brendan did lie. So you did the right thing. But oh, my heart still goes out to him...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/27/2008 8:43 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/27/2008 8:48 AM  

  • I made the changes just now.

    I appreciate you pointing out what you did.

    After reading your comment, and then reading the post, I realized I left out a crucial part of the story which was that he ate HER candy.

    We try not to make him feel guilty about eating sweets.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/27/2008 8:57 AM  

  • P.S. We didn't punish him for taking her candy. I figured that him seeing how we can use D to find out the truth MAY serve as a deterrent for future thefts :) We'll see.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/27/2008 9:29 AM  

  • I'm impressed that you can be so creative early in the morning! Poor Brendon - he made me laugh when he admitted to dosing for the candy, even while denying eating the candy.

    By Blogger meanderings, at 1/27/2008 10:43 AM  

  • Poor kid. I know where he was coming from though. At least he tried to dose for it. Maybe he needs a little carb counting lesson. Explaining that it's just easier for him to ask permission from one of you to eat a treat and figure out the carbs together, instead of sneaking it and ending up in D, parent, and sibling trouble. He'll learn the outcome of taking the candy isn't so sweet in time.

    By Blogger Jillian, at 1/27/2008 10:46 AM  

  • brendan will soon learn, mom ALWAYS knows! we're psychic, have eyes in the backs of our head, have x-ray vision, and hear like jaime summers with her bionic ear.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/27/2008 11:11 AM  

  • Hi Shannon,
    At least Brendon knows he has to bolus for the things he eats. The details of the bolusing will come as he gets older & more used to it. But darn, he tried! I give him credit for that. He's learning. How sweet! (probably not a good word to use in this situation, huh? sorry.)

    By Blogger Donna, at 1/27/2008 11:30 AM  

  • I have to be honest with you - I don't have many suggestions on dealing with this.

    Ask my mom about my first Halloween after my 9/11 diagnosis, when she accosted me and smelled my breath for chocolate. Even though I knew I had eaten it and she could smell it and my meter displayed a nice, high number, I still couldn't fess up.

    Or ask my brother and sister about them ratting me out for eating stuff. It was just sibling ammo - believe me, they intended no guilt. They just wanted to tell on me because we were in a fight about some stupid game of Risk or Sorry. ;)

    It's a tough road, being a little kid with diabetes. And it's just as tough to be the parents of that litte kid.

    You know as well as I do that this will happen again. This D-paisan is a pain in the ass. If you decide to put out that hit on it, I have some people that can help. ;)

    (And the mob-speak made me laugh out loud at home, reading this. To the point where I had to explain it to my fiance-paisan.)

    By Blogger Kerri., at 1/27/2008 11:37 AM  

  • I'm sure these situations will come up over and over through the years.

    I lied plenty of times as a kid, and getting caught still didn't stop me.

    Mainly, the issue was that he stole something of Jessica's.

    D just made it easy for us to catch him.

    He can eat all the candy he wants within reason of course. And he's pretty good at dosing himself.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/27/2008 11:49 AM  

  • Man - I am so Jessica! I would tattle on my brother at ANY chance I got. No fancy lie detectors though, so he usually got out of it!! :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/27/2008 12:11 PM  

  • I don't change names to protect the innocent OR the guilty!! :)

    I have one of my four who "embellishes" the truth when it suits her, we don't do the lying thing around here and they get in trouble, but sometimes, what they come up with is very entertaining!

    By Blogger Sunshine, at 1/27/2008 2:17 PM  

  • Awesome post, Shannon.

    Funny, sad -- and very clever -- all at once.

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 1/27/2008 3:28 PM  

  • Sounds like something that would go down in my house. D would have nothing to do with it. Someone stealing someone else's candy in this house would be the crime of the century (at least in my kids eyes).

    He did try to cover it though - with the coverage for 10 carbs and all. That damned candy can be evil though - carbs galore hiding in that stuff!

    Loved how you wrote this one Shannon :)

    By Blogger Jamie, at 1/27/2008 8:13 PM  

  • Great post. Very funny. Very clever.

    By Blogger Carey, at 1/28/2008 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home