Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Winds of Change

Brendon had an endo appointment today and with all of the worry about his high numbers lately, he managed to come out with a 7.6 A1C (up from a 7.4). I was hoping at best for an 8 because I thought he'd be higher. Whew....

Since his last visit (over 3 mos. ago), he's grown 1 3/4" and gained 5 pounds. Since he weighs too much, we now have to cut back his carb intake and bring it down from 290 grams per day to 250 grams....and completely cut out fast food (no brainer).

From day one we've dosed him after he eats because at 2 1/2 years old, he wouldn't eat everything we served him. But now at a strapping 7 yrs old, he DOES eat everything, so the endo suggested we dose and correct him before he eats.

The endo asked if we'd be interested in swapping a CGMS with a few other families. Of course we're jumping at the opportunity. I guess we'll find out more about it down the road.

I haven't gone to an appointment in about a year as Jeff always takes him, but I feel like the appointments are like Parent/Teacher conferences where the teacher (endo) gives her impression of how the student (parents) have performed. As a child I was such a cut up that I'd go to bed (at about 6 p.m.) and pretend I was sleeping before my parents got home with bad news. But they'd always come back with rave reviews about my behavior and school work performance. So with the endo appointments, I always expect a bad evaluation from the endo, but it always comes out good.

What a relief!

4 Comments:

  • Glad you guys had a great appointment!

    By Blogger Paige, at 7/26/2007 3:39 PM  

  • I'm "whew-ing" right beside you :)

    Glad it went well.

    By Blogger Jamie, at 7/26/2007 5:33 PM  

  • I am happy for you! A plus students!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/26/2007 6:07 PM  

  • Well done. I'm getting nuts with wanting Charlie's A1c ASAP. I feel like we've had a pretty good stretch and I just want to see a good number before the "winds of change" change for us. The CGMS is an exciting opportunity. Watching me some dlife on Sunday. Have a good weekend.

    By Blogger Carey, at 7/27/2007 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home